Re: jwm

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 05:34 PM, Bernardo Sulzbach wrote:
>
> On 06/01/2016 06:21 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>
> So the answer to your question is that the papers say they work 40 hours
> per week, but in reality they work more. The employment law doesn't
> prescribe the actual number of hours worked by this class of employees,
> and the employer can set the work product expectations as they see fit.
>

> So employers who pay extra hours to exempt workers do so without any legal
> obligations?
>
> I never heard of such situation. Normally, exempt workers might get a bonus
> payout at the end of the year, or receive some award. In some industries
> (e.g. banking, or sales) the bonus might be much bigger than the salary, but
> that's probably not very common in engineering/technology fields.

It's quite rare. I've been in the field more than 25 years, and if you
count off-hours research and work related research, 60 hours is not
that unusual. For free software and open source workers, there's also
a lot of time on work projects that goes to our hobbies and interests,
such as free software projects, that work is paying us for but we
provide for the community as a whole, not just for our local
workplace.