Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 11:30:06AM -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> I use my computer for lots of automation like collecting weather and
> Pepco powerline data, getting the book of the day, ebay sniping, etc.
> They all run as either persistent processes or user cron jobs. I am
> normally logged in, of course, but the current setup works even if I
> go on vacation and/or the system reboots. I think it would be a
> mistake to forbid it or even make it difficult to use.

AFAICT cron/etc isn't affected by this proposal as its jobs are already
launched as part of a service.

> > Anyway, here's an actual idea: could systemd and GNOME arrange for
> > terminal programs (things invoked in gnome-terminal, via ssh, etc) to
> > persist and things that are graphical or dbus to not persist?  For
> > example, GNOME could stick everything into a scope that is killed when
> > the GNOME session ends, gnome-terminal could split its children into a
> > different scope, and ssh sessions could have a scope that always
> > lingers (if permitted)?
>
> This looks promising, but it seems to introduce a mysterious,
> hard-to-discover duality (some processes get killed and some don't). There
> should be an easy way to a) specify,  b) tell which one is is which, and to
> discover post-factum why the process was killed.

I doubt I'm alone in launching graphical desktop stuff from a terminal
command prompt; stuff I absolutely want to get killed when I log out.

The processes that one wants to linger are the exceptions here, not the
norm -- and there's no blanket heuristic one can use to tell the
difference.  that said, if it's invoked via screen/tmux/nohup/etc that's
a good indication..

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^