Re: Hadoop?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:03:14 +0000, you wrote:

>So, it would seem at some point, without me noticing (certainly my fault,
>for not paying attention enough), the Hadoop packages got orphaned and/or
>retired? in Fedora.

March 12 the packager of nc6 orphaned the packages they were
responsible for:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/MS6LMFOZU2QY3TN42UT3YVT5BP2PCZQ2/

nc6 is a dependency of Hadoop, and was listed as such starting in the
April 9th Orphaned Packages email, repeated multiple times between
April 9th and now.

>What's the state of Hadoop in Fedora these days? Are there packaging
>problems?

Nothing has changed since the discussion you took part in on the Big
Data mailing list last August.

[short version for those not familiar - uncooperative upstream (lots
of old dependencies, old version of Java), too many packages involved,
lack of buy in by the users of Hadoop as they didn't trust the Fedora
packages, thus no willingness to commit continuing to fight to keep
the packages working]