Re: 15 thousands python3-* packages for Fedora

Dne 19.5.2016 v 14:59 Stephen John Smoogen napsal(a):
> That isn't why he is doing this. I don't think he is looking to get
> 15,000 packages added to Fedora. He is just making sure that if you
> need that poorly written python software... it is still in an rpm
> somewhere.

Yes. This is not intended for inclusion in Fedora. Remember the Fedora Rings? This is the very outer ring.
Albeit it may help maintainers. For example there is several python3 packages in this project, which are already
included in Fedora, but only in python2 version and the python3 submodule is missing. So the maintainers can copy the
spec code and use it.

And talking about the crap modules. Yes, there are plenty of them. Some of them even do not have tar.gz included so they
will never succeed. But some of them succeeded and ... yeah they are crap ... but the world outside ... the world where
people try to get earn money is sometime really weird. And sometimes you *need* the crap. For whatever reason. I'm not
asking. I'm not judging. If you need it, it is there.
I expect that there will pop up some other tools, which will help you to make better decision and which will tell you
that there is plenty of unfixed CVE on that module or something similar. So you can you can choose some alternative. Or
if you insist - then here it is - crap module packaged as very shiny rpm package.

>> > I think a more worthwhile effort would be to use the PyPi package rankings
>> > (http://pypi-ranking.info/alltime) and identify any packages in say the top
>> > 500 that don't currently have Fedora packages or aren't included in the
>> > standard library.

This is very interesting idea. I'm not sure about the inclusion in Fedora, but I will discuss it with Michal Cyprian
(pyp2rpm maintainer) and we will try to improve pyp2rpm so it will for those high ranked modules.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA