Re: Kernel plans for Fedora 24

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/17/2016 05:25 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> I refuse the premise that the kernel team is going to release a 4.6.x
>> kernel that isn't ready as a 0 day update.
>

> There is more extensive testing performed before GA release then there is in
> the update process hence what get's shipped in the GA release has better
> testing coverage regardless of people believes in Red Hat's kernel team
> hence it's better to ship the 4.6 in the final then to deliver it as an 0
> day update.

You're the only person suggesting it would be a zero day update,
rather than following the usual kernel rebasing process. The 4.6
kernel is mainline, not stable. I can't recall Fedora shipping with a
mainline kernel. If testing coverage is your concern, 4.5.3 will have
had more coverage by a lot than 4.6.0 will get in the next two weeks
before freeze.

And then what? You expect the kernel team to carry backports for 4.6.0
for a week or two after GA? I don't see the point at all.

Historically it's about a month before a kernel goes stable, and then
we'd see 4.6.1 right about when Fedora 24 goes GA, and 4.6.1 would
still spend some time in u-t before it'd get to most users. I don't
know why you think it'd be a zero day update.

--
Chris Murphy