Re: F25 System Wide Change: Use /etc/distro.repos.d as default reposdir

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Remi Collet <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 12/05/2016 à 09:36, Jan Kurik a écrit :
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Use /etc/distro.repos.d as default reposdir =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReposInEtcDistroReposD
>

> Perhaps the 1st goal should be
> "have compatible configuration files for yum and dnf".
>
> For memory this is not true
>
> - "includepkgs" for yum doesn't work with dnf
> - "include" for dnf breaks yum.

The "disto" name is horrible. Many repositories are third party or
local. Unless you want to start supporeting "/etc/distro.repos.d",
"/etc/local.repos.d", and "/etc/vendor.repos.d" to all run together,
then distro is the wrong name for it. And splitting up the yum/dnf
configs to separate directories would be begging for pain.

This change is also likely to break almost every third party
repository management tool in existence unless "/etc/yum.repos.d" and
"/etc/[myunemployedscriptkiddienewrepotool].d/" are forced into
identical behavior, probably by a symlink.  This includes
epel-release, rpmforge-release, the apache-community-mysql
repositories, etc., etc., etc.

Would the new name remove one line of existing code or make anything
faster or more stable? I think not. It's an esthetic change with no
actual performance benefit. Even dropping in a symlink to
/etc/yum.repos.d is as potentially confusing as the
"/etc/{init.d,rc0,d,rc1,d,etc}" symlinks to
"/etc/rc.d/{init.d,rc0.d,rc1,d,etc}." for SysV init scirpt locations
was. And it would encourage the sort of randomization of default path
to the .repo files that we saw for SysV init scripts, which could get
pretty confusing.