Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK folks, it's Bad Decision Time.

Oh dear... When it starts like this, this is *not* going to be an easy
decision...

That said, here's my thoughts on the options.

> 1) Downgrade back to 4.x, downgrading or dropping any modules in the collection
> that don't run on that LTS version.

I don't particularly like this idea, especially as it would
essentially regress the Nodejs stack. I don't exactly know how many
modules depend on nodejs 5+ functionality, but I know that there are
plenty of interesting applications that do require it that I imagine
people would like to package in Fedora. Generally speaking, I'd like
to see Fedora be *more* attractive to developers of all stripes,
including Nodejs application developers.

> 2) Stick with 5.x for the life of Fedora 24, handling security backports
> ourselves once it hits EOL this summer.

This sounds... obnoxious for us, especially for a stack that is in the
early stages of support in Fedora. I can understand doing something
like this with Python, Ruby, or Go, but Nodejs upstream doesn't make
this particular option very easy, and I don't think anyone relishes in
the idea of cherrypicking the Nodejs codebase for fixes to backport.
Heaven forbid we'd need to modify the patches to actually backport
them to Nodejs 5.x. We're not Red Hat, and I imagine most of us simply
don't have the necessary expertise to pull that off.

> 3) Upgrade to 6.x, fixing or dropping any modules in the collection that don't
> run on it yet.

This option is the least awful in my view, as I would expect that
backward compatibility in Nodejs should be good overall, even if there
would be minor breakages here and there on an API level. Obviously the
whole Nodejs stack would need rebuilding, which would probably
necessitate an f24-nodejs6 tag where everything gets built, and then
finally merged in (either via override or via bodhi). My major concern
with this is that I'm not sure how the process would actually *work*
for doing this. I can't recall a time we've ever done it before, but I
honestly don't see a better way to deal with this in such a way that
would not leave an unpleasant taste to potential new Fedora Nodejs
developers.

A plus on our side is that the effort wouldn't be wasted, since we're
doing it for F25/Rawhide anyway, as you pointed out. We just happen to
be doing it much earlier than we planned.