Re: freecad: Need help with segfault problem on F24

On 20/04/16 09:51 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On 04/19/2016 11:55 PM, Jerry James wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm pretty much stumped on a problem where freecad (really python-pivy)
segfaults on F24 but seems to run fine on F23 and I can't find any
substantive difference between any of the packages.

Strangely installing Coin3 from f23 on a f24 system seems to fix the
problem...
Try building Coin3 with -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks in the CFLAGS.
I've had to add that to several packages on F24 to fix mysterious
segfaults.
Yeah, but that means that we're just allowing silent null-pointer dereferencing. This can't be good: it probably just masks latent bugs: https://gcc.gnu.org/news/null.html

Yes, but if the choices are to have code that dereferences null and
appears to work, or code that dereferences null and crashes, then
using the option as a temporary workaround is useful. Also, if the
option stops the crashes then it confirms that null dereferences are
indeed the cause of the crashes, not some other problem. That can
help find the real problem.

Building with -fsanitize=undefined should find the place where the
null dereference happens, so it can be fixed.