Re: osgaudio packaging (bundles/provides openalpp)

Hi, François.
Sorry for late reply.

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 00:43, François Cami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to package osgaudio, which is an OpenSceneGraph-like frontend
> to OpenAL.
> It is currently maintained by OpenSceneGraph's main author at:
> https://github.com/robertosfield/osgaudio/
>
> It requires and contains openalpp, a C++ frontend for OpenAL.
> We haven't shipped openalpp since Fedora 7.
> The original project for openalpp hasn't been updated since 2005 or so.
> I've searched for a better fork of openalpp and haven't found any.
>
> My proposal is to install openalpp alongside osgaudio, in separate
> subpackages with appropriate Requires. That way, we provide a choice
> between a C++ interface to OpenAL or a SceneGraph approach to 3D
> sound.
> I believe this approach is not in violation of:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bundled_Software_policy
> as osgaudio and openalpp would live in separate packages (built from
> the same srpm), in effect both becoming system libraries.

Your proposal is correct. However, if there are other consumers of the
openalpp code, it might be worth asking osgaudio upstream to distribute
openalpp separately and support linking against the external library.
Do you know of any other projects that depend on openalpp?

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."