Removal of type union wait from glibc in rawhide

glibc-2.23.90-9.fc25 removed the type union wait from its API. This used to be a BSD compatibility extension, but it has long since been removed from the BSDs. It was never part of the POSIX process interfaces, and its implementation relies on GCC extensions.

If your package is portable to anything else than GNU/Linux (which includes Android) and has a configure check for union wait, the configure check will fail and the package will automatically switch to the POSIX APIs (like it does everywhere else).

If your package fails to compile, you need to replace “union wait” with “int”. If code uses members of union wait, you need to switch that to the status accessor macros such as WIFEXITED, WEXISTATUS, and so. Please let me know if you need help with that.

I expect that very few packages will be affected. We only know about tcsh so far, and a patch is available.

The ABI is unchanged, existing binaries continue to work.

Florian