[Modularity] Modularity WG Meeting & Objective Status Update (Apr 12, 2016)

We had another Modularity Working group meeting last Thursday (Apr. 7) where I managed to screw up the meetbot commands. You can find the meeting minutes in the usual place[1][2][3], but they may not be very useful. As a result, I decided to do a more expansive recap, hence the delay.

[1]: Landing Page: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/sresults/?group_id=modularity_wg&type=team [2]: Minutes: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/modularity_wg/modularity_wg.2016-04-07-15.01.html [3]: Log: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/modularity_wg/modularity_wg.2016-04-07-15.01.log.html

After the roll call, we delved into “#topic governance.” We have a proposed Governance[1] posted to the Fedora Wiki and we are seeking feedback.

Basically, I am proposing two aspects of the working group, one the “strategy” part which is what the voting members would vote on, if things came to a vote. The “strategy discussion” would largely take place in the Modularity WG meetings and in Sprint Planning meetings where the group sets the direction of the next sprint (or sprints). The strategy would be informed by the demo’d output of each sprint which demonstrate, through code/docs/etc, what the team thinks the requirements requested.

The second group, the development team, assigns themselves to cards in Taiga for a given sprint, meets daily in a Stand Up to discuss status, and presents a Demo at the end of each sprint.

The delineation of the group is primarily to support writing about roles and responsibilities and should not be construed as a member of the dev team not being able to participate in strategy or vice versa. The formalization of the Working Group governance is also not meant to imply that the formal members are the only participants in Modularization. We really hope everyone involved in Fedora gets plugged in and makes sure what we are doing will support the whole community.

Please provide your comments / thoughts before or during the next Working Group meeting on Thurs, Apr. 14, 2016 as we would like to ratify the Governance during that meeting.

[1]: Governance: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularity_Working_Group/Governance_Charter

We moved on to “#topic what & when.” Suffice to say, the Modularity Objective[1] proposed some deliverables and some timeframes for them. The first being a prototype of Modularity by F25. We have made some initial progress on “code” for the prototype which you can see further discussed in the log[2] from 15:26:56 - 15:33:49 UTC. We also have been working on a definition for the metadata[3] required to “be” a module.

[1]: Modularity Objective: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Modularization,_Prototype_Phase [2]: Modularity WG Meeting Log: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/modularity_wg/modularity_wg.2016-04-07-15.01.log.html
[3]: Metadat repo: https://pagure.io/fm-metadata

Nominations[1] close this weekend (technically, Apr. 18) so get your name in if you want to be considered. However, please join the WG by coming to the meetings[2] whether you want to nominate yourself or not. Next meeting is Apr. 14, 2016 15h UTC in #fedora-meeting.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Modularity_Working_Group/Initial_Nominations
[2]: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/calendar/modularity/