Re: TPMs, measured boot and remote attestation in Fedora

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 11:36:33AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 04/08/2016 10:28 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > With what we now know about malicious actors targeting the system boot
> > chain (even down to the firmware), this kind of TPM-based work is a
> > vital part of helping keep our users secure.
>
> On the other hand, it can easily be abused to restrict user freedom.
> For example, video streaming sites might not be willing to serve content
> to users who cannot cryptographically prove they are running an approved
> operating system with an approved browser.

The practical issues around enforcing this kind of remote attestation
have proven to be sufficiently intractable that literally nobody has
ever ended up doing it (I thought Netflix had for ChromeOS devices - it
turned out I was wrong).

> Remote attestation only works with a trusted counterpart who rejects
> access once a breach is detected.  Who do you expect to be the
> counterpart for Fedora users?  Is there anyone who offers such a service
> without also requiring to use their own operating system?

Openstack has some support for this, although I wouldn't recommend using
it. The setup I'm envisaging is for server deployments within a single
administrative domain - this way it's entirely under the control of
whoever controls the machines anyway.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx