Re: How to fix broken dependency in orphaned package that FTBFS in F24

On 04/07/2016 02:26 PM, Tomas Hozza wrote:
Hi all.

We pushed an update for log4cplus in F24+ [1]. It is a rebase and one of the dependent packages is "pion-net". The problem is that pion-net does not build on F24+, which stops us from pushing update on F24 which would not break dependencies. There is an older build of pion-net in F24 from times when it was building just fine.

What should be the process here? Should we untag the package from F24 or should I ignore the broken dependency? I don't see any good solutions to this problem other than fixing the FTBFS in pion-net.

Also note that pion-net is orphaned.

[1] https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-53b6df64eb

The main thing here is that anything that has broken deps gets retired
before the F24 release, so if you push out a log4cplus update that
breaks pion-net and it doesn't get fixed in time for F24, pion-net gets
dropped from Fedora.

So I guess it depends on how much you care about pion-net :)

One option here would be to push out the log4cplus update and just not
care that it breaks pion-net -- I think this is a valid option here,
considering it's an orphaned package.

Another option would be to do a compatibility package with the old
log4cplus soname so that anything that doesn't get rebuilt just keeps on
working. This might make sense if you think there are important 3rd
party repositories that rely on log4cplus; in that case it probably
makes sense to do a compatibility package anyway as we can't rebuild them.

--
Kalev