Re: Checking signatures on package source tarballs

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 04:31:14PM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 30 March 2016 at 15:45, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 02:44:44PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > wrote:
> > > On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 02:26:59PM -0000, Ralf Senderek wrote:
> > > [snip the part I complete agree with]

> > > What the upstream does is something that we cannot control, and we can
> > > only encourage the upstream to DTRT.
> > >
> > > In fact signatures and license files are quite similar:
> > > our guidelines say that the license file MUST be installed if provided
> > > by upstream, and packagers SHOULD ask upstream to provide it if it is
> > > missing [1]. I think we should follow this pattern for signatures.
> > >
> > > There will always be exceptions to the "MUST check if signed" rule:
> > > repacking the tarball is an obvious one. The guidelines should
> > > acknowledge this.
> > >
> > > Zbyszek
> >
> > [1]
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:LicensingGuidelines#License_Text
> > --
> >

> Granted on LICENSE  but that is about providing providence on the open
> source nature and demonstrating permission to distribute.
>
> Given the legalities surrounding that and the potential damage to Fedora
> (and possibly Red Hat) for non-free items being distributed that's a
> somewhat different situation to verifying that the tarball in the lookaside
> cache is the same as that which an original upstream provided.
>
> For this reason (alongside the others about repack) I really do think that
> should signature verification be added to the guidelines the best way to
> handle that would be:
>
> "If the upstream provides a signed archive this SHOULD be verified in %prep
> prior to unpacking"
>
> Start off with that - if we find that the use of this starts growing (again
> how many packages in the archive actually have signed tarballs right now?)
> then this can always be modified in the future to a MUST if it becomes
> apparent that it has saved us somewhere. I'm really reluctant to add
> another thing that needs to go to FPC for an exception though (which would
> be the case with a MUST) just after we've come to an agreement on the
> bundling side of things having *removed* exception requirements for that.

I don't think we'd know if "it saved us somewhere". More likely we
can encounter a situation where "it would have saved us if we had it".
But I'd rather not wait for a successful attack.

In what scenario do you expect an FPC exception to be required?
Either the upstream provides a signature and it's good to check it,
or the signature is missing altogether / known to be impossible to
check for some reason (repacked tarball, missing public key, etc) and
then the rule obviously does not apply. In that situation I'd expect
an explanation in a comment and/or a check in the repacking script.

Zbyszek