Re: introducing curl-minimal and libcurl-minimal RPM packages

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 19:27:09 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 07:00:09PM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 March 2016 13:21:42 Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> > I was (by mistake) speaking about loading libcurl's run-time dependencies
> > by dlopen(), which is implemented for OpenLDAP in RHEL-5.  It used to
> > cause
> > problems and was removed from upstream curl long time ago.
>
> Judging by this discussion:
>
>   https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/349
>
> and:
> >     https://lists.mayfirst.org/pipermail/vtls/2015-February/000020.html
>
> that was because they implemented it badly.  They shouldn't dlopen the
> external libraries directly.
>
> libcurl should have a plugin system, so that the plugin for (eg)
> libssh2 could be pushed off to $plugindir/libcurl-ssh2.so.  This is a
> library containing curl code, which is linked normally (NOT using
> dlopen) to libssh2.  When core libcurl starts, _it_ dlopens any
> plugins found in $plugindir, and they register themselves with the
> core libcurl.  The order of library loading is predictable, as if the
> main program or another library linked to the main program is already
> using libssh2, it won't be loaded a second time.

Sounds like a lot of work compared to my tiny patch at the packaging level.

I do not think that we have manpower to implement/maintain such a solution and
I am not sure if curl upstream would ever be interested in that.  At least, I
have not seen any demand on such a plug-in system in the annual surveys filed
by the upstream community.

> From there it would be easy to package the core libcurl, and the
> plugins in separate RPMs.

Sure.  Once you have finished the upstream part, creating the RPMs is easy :-)

Now seriously.  You are welcome to propose it on the upstream mailing list to
get some feedback on your proposal from the upstream community directly.

Kamil