Re: introducing curl-minimal and libcurl-minimal RPM packages

On Wednesday 16 March 2016 17:25:26 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Kamil Dudka (kdudka@xxxxxxxxxx) said:

> > > ... which means if the SONAME is the same, you either are dealing with
> >
> > > Conflicts:
> > Exactly.  libcurl conflicts with libcurl-minimal, which means that exactly
> > one of them will be installed on any Fedora system at a time.  On a
> > regular system (server, desktop, etc.) it will always be libcurl.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you need to create a minimal installation of Fedora
> > (e.g. a base image for Docker), you will pick libcurl-minimal instead of
> > libcurl, to make the set of installed packages really minimal.
>
> That just seems an odd place to make a stand on size.
>
> If you care about a consistent developer, user, and debugging experience
> regardless of mechanism of delivery, you wouldn't do this in the first
> place, or you'd change the global curl package. Either the features are
> important, or they aren't.

Are you implying that curl maintainers know better than users which features
are important for the users themselves?

> If you care about minimizing size overall (neglecting the fact that
> cutting out kerberos and to a lesser extent ldap dependencies don't really
> save you anything due to their system library use), then might as well just
> start -Os-ing random packages and throwing in busybox.

Micro-optimization is way to hell.  The system needs to optimized by design.

As for Kerberos, I have already restored the feature in libcurl-minimal, based
on the discussion in this thread:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/curl.git/commit/?id=92700939

As for the dependency on OpenLDAP libraries, there was a request to drop it,
which we were not able to satisfy at that time:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1029089

Kamil