Building packages with clang?

I have a package that struggles to build on 32 bit x86 and arm because the compiler tends to use so much memory that the builder runs out of memory.

Upstream is aware of the issue, and mentioned that clang uses considerably less memory to build the problem file so I thought I would see if building with clang would work.

Unfortunately although it works on F23 I always seem to get link errors when building with rawhide:

clang++ -o test/standalone/agg_rasterizer_integer_overflow_test-bin -pthread test/standalone/agg_rasterizer_integer_overflow_test.o -Ldeps/agg -Lsrc -Lsrc/json -Lsrc/wkt -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -lmapnik -lmapnik-wkt -lmapnik-json -lagg -lboost_filesystem -lboost_regex -lcairo -lpng -lproj -ltiff -lwebp -lxml2 -licui18n -lboost_system -lharfbuzz -ljpeg -licuuc -lfreetype -lz -ldl -lboost_program_options src/libmapnik.so: undefined reference to `std::ios_base::failure::failure(char const*, std::error_code const&)' clang-3.8: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

That's from this build:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=13160432

Is building packages with clang actually allowed and/or expected to work? The C/C++ guidelines seem to suggest it is given that they say you should require either gc or clang.

As far as I can see the symbol being complained about does exist, though with an abi tag in libstdc++ (but that is true in F23 as well).

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/