Re: glibc in Fedora rawhide now split by langpacks.

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26 February 2016 at 09:47, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We have over 180 supported languages
>> in glibc, and those have been split into langpacks
>> for transparent install and support via dnf.
>
> What happens if the user isn't using DNF? For the workstation we have
> to support users using just the graphical tools, and we can't rely on
> command line tools for this kind of thing. I'm happy to add support
> for installing lang packs into gnome-software but need to know how the
> langpack plugin works so we can add proper support into the AppStream
> metadata file. The idea being if the user changes the per-session
> language we install the required langpacks automatically.
>
> Can someone explain how the dnf langpack plugin gets the data on what
> application subpackages to install? It would be easy if we could have
> a virtual package that we could install for each locale as then we can
> just put the metainfo file there for easy support in gnome-software.

Please have a look at New Langpacks Change[1] information. With this
change we are trying to remove the need of having dnf langpacks
plugin. The basic required things are already in F24+ but I have not
yet got time to add weak dependencies in all the required langpacks.
But I have modified basic required langpacks like hunspell, hyphen,
mythes. Then libreoffice, kde-l10n, gnome-getting-started-docs and
tesseract has been also built for this new langpacks change. I do have
created test page[2] for this new change.

I suppose all the langpacks changes will be complete by next week.
Please note that I specifically requested Workstation WG to add
dnf-langpacks package in comps but later on we decided to use weak
dependencies for langpacks. Now users need to just install
meta-packages like langpacks-<langcode> to get all the required
langpacks installed on the system. If needed we can remove
dnf-langpacks from Fedora Workstation installation but I will say
better wait till Fedora 24 Alpha release and see if new langpacks
implementation has worked fine by that time.

Regards,
Parag

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LangpacksInstallationWithRPMWeakDependencies
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Langpacks