Re: hawkey replaced by libhif, DNF into C initiative started

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 05:42 -0500, Honza Šilhan wrote:
> > From: "Josh Boyer" <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Could you please elaborate (perhaps in a separate thread) the full
> > desire and requirements behind rewriting DNF into C?  The first
> > link
> > in your email says the initiative is started, but it doesn't really
> > explain why aside from the libhif step.
>
> Having DNF in C is desire of many users. If you could notice the
> thread
> from Courtney Pacheco, she did investigation [1] to minimize the
> Fedora
> image (which is bigger than in other distros). The DNF will probably
> be
> taken out of that image. Mostly because of the Python requirement.

It appears the requirement is not so much
  "rewrite DNF in C"
as
  "rewrite DNF in a language that can be compiled to efficient machine
code, which doesn't require a large runtime support library, and which
can interoperate with C".

I think I'm only semi-serious here [1], but have you considered Rust?

[1] e.g. it's not yet in Fedora.