Re: Fwd: Use suid_dumpable=2 for development releases

On 02/16/2016 03:23 PM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

On Feb 15, 2016 10:36 PM, "Jakub Filak" <jfilak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like that there are no opponents of this change but several supporters
> and few of them even want to have suid_dumpable=2 in all releases.
>
> I was thinking about it and Richard W.M. Jones' email about safeness of
> suid_dumpable=2 without ABRT gave me an idea to teach ABRT to set
> suid_dumpable=2 in abrt-ccpp.service. The service sets kernel.core_pattern
> (/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern) to ABRT pattern, so it could also update
> suid_dumpable. If an administrator uninstalls/turns off ABRT, suid_dumpable
> would get back the OS default value. If he/she modifies core_pattern by hand,
> then he/she is skilled enough to spot kernel warning in the logs.
>
> What do you think about it?
> I would especially like to hear thoughts on this from security experts.
>
> Do I need to get any permission to do so?

This idea makes me very nervous.

I understand your concerns and I am happy someone else expressed it this way.
I was asked several times to make suid_dumpable=2 by default last year and I always replied like you.

  I would *much* rather that the kernel be changed.

Just for the clarification: you want to change suid_dumpable in kernel package or introduce the value of 3 or both?

Also, is ABRT itself safe?

We believe it is.
But frankly we had several CVEs last year. However those CVEs helped us to make ABRT much safer.
Florian Weimer went through the code base and found several issues that we have fixed.
The CVEs are the reason why I didn't start this discussion sooner.

That is, if an unprivileged user starts, say, passwd and forces a coredump, can that user convince ABRT to show them the core file?

That user cannot convince ABRT to show them the core file.
Only privileged users will have access to the core file.

Jakub

--Andy