Is my package a special Conflict: snowflake?

Hello fellow Fedora hackers!

I am in a sticky packaging situation, and I think setting a Conflicts:
in my package might be the solution. According to the Conflict
guidelines[0], making a case here is a good way to go.

jcline and I have been working for a number of weeks on getting the
ejabberd package updated. It's been unmaintained for quite some time,
and so updating it involved adding 15 more packages. Unfortunately
during the process, I failed to notice that the dependency that ejabberd
needed called "xmlrpc" was not the same upstream as the Fedora package
"erlang-xmlrpc". We really want to get this in before the F24 branch in
a week and change, so there's not much time to add the xmlrpc that
ejabberd needs.

One possibility that I've been investigating is renaming the new package
to erlang-rds13_xmlrpc (rds13 being the github account that owns it),
but it's non trivial and means applying lots of patching to both it and
to ejabberd.

Under more usual circumstances, I might think that's the way to go, but
ejabberd's master branch has abandoned the use of this package in favor
of a fork they are carrying of it they call p1_xmlrpc. This makes the
Conflicts option attractive to me, as I will retire the new package in
Fedora 25. It also makes it seem like it's not worth trying to get the
upstreams to rename since I'm planning to drop the new package soon.

I did consider going ahead and packaging their fork, but it may not be
trivial as they have made changes to it and I'm not sure those changes
are compatible with their older releases.

I have done a little research on the package that conflicts with mine.
It seems to be used by yaws:

$ dnf repoquery --whatrequires erlang-xmlrpc
yaws-0:2.0-2.fc24.x86_64

Of course, we can't know what users might be depending on this package
who's software is not in Fedora, and what I'm proposing could cause an
issue for those users who might also want to use ejabberd on the same
system.

So what do you all think? Are there other options that I should be
considering? Am I a special snowflake?

[0]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts#Potential_Conflicting_Files

--