Re: Fwd: Use suid_dumpable=2 for development releases

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:40:37PM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 12/02/16 12:24, Jakub Filak wrote:
> >I believe that maintainers of packages like chrony will be really delighted
> >with this change, while will not weaken security of Fedora for regular users.
>
> What part of chrony is setuid? I don't see an suid bit on any of it's
> executables... Nor any file capabilities which is the other thing the manual
> page says triggers this.

The chrony files don't have any set*id bits set, but the chronyd
process, like many other daemons, calls setuid()/setgid() in order to
drop root privileges. The proc(5) man page lists that as a reason
for not producing a coredump.

I was wondering what security implications would setting suid_dumpable
to 2 by default had and why it needs to be restricted to development.

--
Miroslav Lichvar