ntpstat

ntpstat is a small utility included in the ntp package, which prints
the synchronization status of ntpd, the maximum error of the clock and
few other fields. Apparently, there are people who find it useful for
monitoring.

It has been included in the ntp package for a very long time, but it's
not actually part of the upstream ntp package (and can't be as it's
licensed under GPL). I guess ntpstat should rather have its own
package.

There are few issues with it, however. The last ntpstat release is
from 2002 and there is no upstream now. We have a couple of patches
that make it work with the current ntp code. It implements the mode 6
protocol (used by ntpq for instance), but it's really the minimum
needed to send a request and parse the data if it happens to be in the
first packet of the response. It can break easily. Also, it doesn't
support IPv6, to get an IPv6 address for the system peer it would have
to iterate over the NTP associations.

Instead of fixing and maitaining the C code, I thought it would be
much easier to rewrite it from scratch as a bash script using ntpq.
Also, it would be easy to add support for chronyd using the chronyc
utility. This is what I have now, its output should be in most cases
identical to what the original ntpstat produced.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mlichvar/ntpstat/master/ntpstat

I could write a new man page and put it in the ntp package as a
replacement. Or it could be added as a new package in Fedora, which
ntp could recommend or suggest. Would that make sense? Another option
is to simply drop ntpstat from ntp with no replacement.

Thoughts?

--
Miroslav Lichvar