Re: DNF pains

Przemek Klosowski composed on 2016-02-04 12:28 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I have lots of test installations using identical partition sizes for EXT3 or
>> EXT4 / filesystems. the filesystem space these provided is adequate on all if
>> running Mageia or openSUSE, but quite often not for Fedora. Working around
>> the inadequacy on Fedora presents problems #2 & #3.

>> Problem #1:
>> NAICT, DNF, like Yum before it, offers no option I can recognize from its man
>> page to download less than all the to-be-updated/installed packages before
>> proceeding to install any packages. Thus it downloads (typically hundreds of
>> packages), cutting into available / freespace. Then it does transaction
>> checking before package installation begins, and after which commonly it
>> halts, reporting some small amount of freespace is required on the /
>> filesystem, space that obviously wasn't required for the installation to be
>> operable. By intervening updating of packages in various bunches instead,
>> updating, though laborious, is successful, and freespace when done is
>> perfectly adequate, resulting in total freespace roughly equivalent to Mageia
>> and openSUSE.

>> Problem #2:
>> A way to work around problem #1 is with wildcards, e.g.

>> 	# dnf update g* i*, kd*, kf*, q*, per*, pyt*, u*, v*, x* y*, z*

What I should have typed was:

	# dnf update g* i* kd* kf* q* per* pyt* u* v* x* y* z*

> Do you mean a sequence of 'dnf' commands with arguments   g* i*,
> followed by kd*, then by  kf*, etc., or
> am I missing something about the commas?
> On a space-constrained system, how about doing

> for a in {a..z} {A..Z} ; do dnf update $a'*'; done

An alternative to what I've been doing. When I can remember, I first change
to an empty directory before typing dnf, so bash has nothing local to find.

> I think this solves the caching problem as well as not matching local
> files, at the expense of taking much longer to run due to repeated
> checking of metadata. If it turns out that the caches are not cleared,
> you could add explicit purge command.

It would be nicer still to have the same option not to fill the filesystem
before installing as other distros, thus avoiding need for workarounds.
Second best would be Chris Murphy's suggestion: "dnf ... do a better estimate
... of free space before starting an upgrade in the first place", except that
it seems to conflict, based on my understanding of it, with the ostree
approach under construction.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/