Re: Gnome keyring security in Fedora

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Christopher
<ctubbsii-fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To be honest, I thought there'd be more interest in this topic by now,
> considering Gnome Keyring stores so many things now in the Logon keyring by
> default:
>   Bugzilla credentials for ABRT,
>   Chrome sync'd passwords,
>   Firefox site passwords,
>   GPG private keys,
>   gpg-agent passphrases,
>   SSH private key passphrases,
>   etc.
> And these can be accessed without any user notification or interaction by
> any process run by the user by making simple Gnome library calls, unless the
> user explicitly locks it between uses as a manual process, and even then it
> won't keep out a persistent script which grabs what it wants during an open
> window when the keyring is unlocked (it doesn't appear there's an atomic
> "unlock for this key only, then relock" option).

I don't trust any of the web browser implementations right now.

The private keys need to be locked (e.g. ssh-add -D) upon either a
suspend/hibernate, or the screen lock timer being reached.

Maybe I'm missing something, but at the moment if I ssh@server, type
the key passphrase, logout of the server, forget to ssh-add -D, put
the laptop to sleep with sudo systemctl suspend, anyone can come up to
my laptop hit a key and they get to the desktop, can ssh into the
server, all without a password. No lock screen after wake from
suspend. And no timeout or expiration for the ssh key.

> I can't be the only one interested in finding out how to secure these things
> in Fedora.

It's probably just that lately it seems anything security related is
like that sick eye doctor's refrigerator full of amazing food in
Minority Report.

--
Chris Murphy