Request for advice: Major version update of Nginx on EL5/6/7

Hi,

Distributions like RHEL and Debian have a very strict update policy (for
good reason). People expect stability and don't want surprises.

When CVEs arise, patches can often be backported. Nginx 1.8.1 recently
fixed three CVEs and I've backported to Nginx 1.6.x on EL7.

Unfortunately, Nginx 1.0.x on EL6 is too old; I gave it a good shot but
backporting the patches reliably without creating new CVEs is beyond my
expertise. Nginx 0.8.x on EL5 is prehistoric.

I've had a couple of bug reports recently suggesting that I rebase Nginx
to 1.8.1 on all branches. On the one hand, I want to avoid causing
surprises and breaking somebody's website. On the other hand, these
vulnerabilities do need to be fixed. (The approach I took with the Tor
package is to always use the latest stable release on all branches,
which is working well.)

What do people think? Should I go ahead and update all branches (with
appropriate migration notes)?

Kind regards,
Jamie