Re: Needless use of %defattr (in 4464 packages)

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:48:28 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > This can bring bugs because, as noted in the orignal message, some
>> > people use to change wrong permissions coming from %install section.
>>
>> Can you give a concrete example where doing this actually accomplishes
>> something with rpmbuild >= 4.4? I can't immediately think of one; I
>> don't see how "wrong permissions from %install" would end up in the
>> package as files with non-root user/group. AFAIU rpmbuild >= 4.4 sets
>> %defattr(-,root,root,-) by default and repeating immediately at start
>> of %files is a no-op.
>
> It refers to this bit in the original post,
>
>   | or even to reset to the default after using different values,

Sure, in *those* cases simply removing them would be wrong. But
whether by "This" above Petr refers to that particular case, or to
that removing a %defattr(-,root,root,-) _immediately after %files_
(which is not the case of resetting to defaults after using different
values) would cause bugs is not at all clear to me based on the
message parts he quoted. The original post's general case is the one
immediately after %files, that's what was grepped according to the
poster.