Re: Testing chrony seccomp support

On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 12:51 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 01/18/2016 11:02 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>
> > As Florian suggested it makes more sense to compartmentalize chrony
> > so
> > that only a small controlled part of it needs to run with seccomp.
> > My
> > recommendation, if you want to use libraries in the filtered code,
> > make
> > their authors aware of that, so that they document any changes in
> > the
> > used system calls, and if possible ask them to document the
> > existing
> > system calls used (e.g., similarly to:
> > http://www.gnutls.org/manual/html_node/Running-in-a-sandbox.html )
>
> Interesting.  There is one huge caveat:
>
> > As well as an calls needed for memory allocation to work.
>
> glibc malloc can basically call *anything*.  We don't know what the
> future will bring.  Currently, we use (off the top of my head, I
> haven't
> checked):

> I appreciate what you are trying to do, but those seccomp filters
> totally break encapsulation.  I have no idea how to support this
> properly, in a sustainable way.  It appears very difficult to do this
> for independently evolving libraries

Well, ignoring the best sandboxing mechanism the linux kernel offers is not really a way forward. What would be the alternative? Would something like pledge [0,1] be more suitable more suitable to address your concerns?

regards,
Nikos

[0]. http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man2/pledge
.2?query=pledge