Re: Bullet version bump

On 01/15/2016 10:56 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
On 01/15/2016 07:31 PM, Rich Mattes wrote:
Hi,

I plan on building bullet-2.83 in rawhide this weekend.  Bullet uses a
soversion that's equal to the package version, so each bullet version
bump requires a rebuild of all dependent packages.

Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever tried educating upstream about
using a proper soname versioning scheme?  I wonder how much longer we
will have to be tilting at this particular windmill...

I took a quick look with abi-compliance-checker, there are indeed several binary incompatibilities between 2.82 and 2.83. It doesn't seem like they're trying to maintain compatibility between their major releases, so at least in this instance I think tying the soname to the library version seems warranted.

It's certainly better than the case where the soname doesn't change and everything breaks at runtime.

Rich