Re: emacs-filesystem

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:35:51 +0100, Jan Synacek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> long time ago, there was a request to create the emacs-filesystem
> package [1], so other packages could drop their emacs-specific files
> there. I believe it was done the other way around... Those files are
> useless without emacs to begin with. I think packages that have emacs
> snippets / modes should have a "-emacs" subpackage (or something like
> that) that depends on emacs itself.

Two observations:

1) Emacs extensions are to be put into emacs- subpackages, not -emacs.
It's in the %parent-%child naming guidelines. Note that sometimes this
is implemented as virtual package names, i.e. explicit Provides such as
those in desktop-file-utils.

2) A dependency on emacs-filesystem is primarily for packages, which store
files in those directories, but which do _not_ need Emacs to be installed.
Splitting off emacs- subpackages is not always the most wise/convenient
choice.