Re: WebKitGTK+ security status

On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 14:31 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> A deadline might help motivate some upstream projects to move to
> webkitgtk4 I suppose. I'm not sure we can say the f25 branch point,
> because we don't really yet know what that date exactly is. ;(
>
> Perhaps we pick some date after the planned f24 release, like say
> 2016-06-30 so we have an exact date to communicate to upstreams?
> That would give them around 6 months.
>
> Of course there are some pretty important packages in the list, so
> not
> sure if we really want to remove them if they don't port. I guess it
> might depend on how receptive those upstreams are to moving...

Hi,

I'm supportive of using a deadline, but only if we're really willing to
stick to it and remove software that misses the deadline.

Looking over the list, most of the impacted software we could live
without, or stands a good chance of being ported in time. Evolution is
mostly ported upstream, as is Midori. Empathy is halfway ported.
Rhythmbox and GIMP can be built with --disable-webkit. Geary is
unmaintained and dead upstream, and Bijiben is not really that good; we
can live without them. Shotwell is both dead/unmaintained and
successfully ported; I will package a git snapshot for Fedora.

So I would be OK with losing the affected GNOME apps if they miss the
deadline.

2016-06-30 seems like a good date in that it is after the F24 release,
but far enough ahead of F25 that once we remove the software, there
will be several months left during which rawhide users can notice the
app is missing and try to make it work with modern WebKitGTK+.

Michael