Re: Linker issue when moving from RHEL 6 to Fedora/RHEL7

Dave Johansen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running into a linker issue when moving code that builds on RHEL 6
>>> to Fedora or RHEL 7. Here's a simple reproducer:
>>>
>>> Download simple.c from
>>> https://github.com/markkilgard/glut/blob/master/progs/examples/simple.c
>>> and then run:
>>> g++ simple.c -lglut -o simple
>>>

>> My SWG would be that for some reason on EL 6 you're getting the symbols
>> for free perhaps due to the transitive nature of linking dynamic
>> libraries?
>>
>> Since all you need to add is "-lGL" and it won't hurt anything on EL 6,
>> seems like a pretty straight forward fix.
>>

> Yes, in this simple example the fix is easy, but in our actual code it
> would mean changing the build command for hundreds of programs and several
> of them depend on multiple libraries which depend on multiple libraries,
> so it would be pretty time consuming. Plus, that's not even to mention the
> complexity and confusion that will be added when everyone wonders why a
> program is linking against a library it doesn't use.

I think this may explain the differences you're seeing:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange

In short, the proper thing would be for the application in question to ilnk
-lGL, you only just got away with the linker fixing it for you... until now.

-- Rex