Re: Specs using %define

JJ> This uses a %define inside the %check script as a convenient macro,
JJ> used only inside the %check script; i.e., it really is a local
JJ> definition.

But %define isn't a "local definition" in the sense that you're thinking
of.  It's certainly visible outside of %check, for example.  Which
actual property of %define are you relying upon here?  I don't think
you're doing anything specific with nested macro expansions.

It doesn't really make that much difference in the packages you mention,
but you seem to have some misconception of the differences between
%global and %define.

See:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines#.25global_preferred_over_.25define
and the thread beginning at