Re: grub2 password and docs

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree.  I think Fedora should use Grub the way that the Grub
> developers thing Grub should be used, and that is to use
> grub2-mkconfig to propagate configuration (/etc/grub.d, etc) and
> kernel changes into the grub config.

Probably not.

GRUB upstream is a general grocery store. It isn't a restaurant.
They're just offering raw ingredients for distro installer developers
to build something that doesn't require starting completely from
scratch. It's not really meant for distro end user support, it isn't
that friendly, and the documentation is fairly limited to the code and
the mailing list.

Upstream might represent 80% agreement among distros? And even some
things most distros agree on, like UEFI Secure Boot support, still
aren't upstream and may never be. Bootloaderspec file format support
is in that same category, meanwhile grub can read any version of its
own configuration file format including legacy, and iso/sys/extlinux
formats.

About the best opportunity to fix things is with atomic builds, which
don't use grubby, but do use bootloaderspec drop-in snippets. If/when
atomic builds get more traction, it's plausible conventional
installations will move to align with the way atomic builds boot. That
might mean fixing blscfg.mod in Fedora's GRUB to directly consume
bootloaderspec scripts, rather than the current way of doing it by
integrating them into grub.cfg using a combination of ostree and
grub2-mkconfig. Or maybe it means a more complex grub.cfg to find bls
scripts, and a bls format change to use one of the formats grub
already understands.

In any case, one bls script per "other" OS, for chainloading a native
bootloader, or using one of the configfile forwarding commands to
point to an OS specific grub.cfg, grub.conf, or ext/syslinux.conf file
permits support for non-bls supporting OS's. Right now, BLS completely
punts on "other" OS's and that's not really workable for the
workstation product (which is funny seeing as it really doesn't work
all that well right now anyway).

--
Chris Murphy