Re: Easier %config management?

On 12/13/2015 01:07 AM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 05:58:47 +0100, Christopher wrote:
>> For example, I can see which %config files have changed with `rpm -V`, but
>> I can't see what the changes actually are unless I do `dnf download
>> $myrpm`, extract it, and diff them.
>
> Using this script of mine.  It keeps original unchanged configuration files
> from rpm in ~/rpmmerge/** so that you can diff local changes:
>         http://git.jankratochvil.net/?p=nethome.git;a=blob;f=bin/rpmmerge
> One needs to run the command after OS install and best both before+after each
> 'yum/dnf upgrade'.
>

>> rpmconf is nice, because it helps me easily compare configuration files
>> whose user-changes and maintainer-changes conflict... but that's not quite
>> the same thing.
>
> Neither rpmconf nor anything else in Fedora keeps the original configuration
> file of the installed NVRA.  Therefore after 'yum/dnf upgrade' you have:
>   * old-NVRA modified config file
>   * new-NVRA original config file
> And there is no way to _automatically_ merge them to get the needed:
>   * new-NVRA modified config file
> Because for that 3-way merge you need also
>   * old-NVRA original config file
> which is kept (and merged) by my 'rpmmerge' tool above.
>

>> rpmconf might also need modification to support tracking configuration
>> management more fully, rather than just for updates.
>
> It should be primarily a default behavior of the default package management
> tools.
>

> Jan

etckeeper basically makes a git tree of the entire /etc directory, and
automagically commits before & after each yum or dnf transaction (been a
while since I did a raw rpm install or erase, I don't think it kicks in
then though). It's a bit disk-hungry compared to the /etc dir, e.g.
right now I have 89 MiB of actual /etc, plus 142 MiB in the /etc/.git,
but /etc is modest enough that it isn't much of a problem. It does slow
down the yum/dnf transactions a bit, certainly, while git checks for
changes. But yeah, it stores the new, the modified, and the old, and
while I'm not too handy with git yet, I'm pretty sure someone better
with it than I could do that kind of merging you're talking about.

Actually, I take a little of that back; it ignores *.rpm* files, so it
doesn't see the contents of the *.rpmnew. But you'll have that right
there, and can easily work with that.

--
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/