Re: Can Koji handle a soname change and a self-dependency?

Dan Horák wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:32:44 +0100
> Björn Persson <Bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > How are others supposed to handle this?
> >
> > Other users of the GNAT toolchain? Well, if they don't use Koji then
>
> maybe Kevin meant other distros - Debian, OpenSUSE - they all use a
> buildsystem

OK, if I read the question as "How does Adacore expect Free Software
distributions to handle this?", then the answer is that I think they
don't care much.

Adacore's paying customers are big corporations and institutions. Those
generally handle tools and libraries in the form of relocatable packages
that they unpack in some directory in their networked filesystem. They
can have multiple versions of each package available, and manipulate
environment variables to point to the one they want to run or link to.
That's the use case that Adacore care about.

Adacore do set their software free, but if you don't pay for a support
contract then you pretty much have to take it or leave it. They may
accept patches, but only if the proposed changes don't inconvenience
them too much. If they have decided that maintaining duplicated code
for project file support in both Gnatmake and GPRbuild is too much
trouble, then they won't change their minds just to make things easier
for Free Software distributions.

If I would complain, then they would probably say that they'll ensure
that each version of GPRbuild can be built by the previous version, and
if Fedora's build system can't handle that, then that's Fedora's
problem. And they would be right.

Björn Persson