Re: %post RPM scriptlets and dependencies

On 12/10/2015 01:32 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 12/10/2015 11:41 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> When a %post scriptlet runs, is it guaranteed that the Requires:
>> dependencies have been unpacked?  I understand that for cycle-breaking
>> purposes, it may not be true that the scriptlets for dependencies have
>> run.  But are the files already there?
>>
>> (I'm interested in plain Requires, not Requires(post) etc.)
>
> Requires and Requires(post) are equal in ordering except for
> loop-breaking purposes. When no loops are present, both guarantee the
> files are there. When dependency loops are involved rpm makes an
> educated guess to cut it but obviously there can be no absolute guarantee.

I dispute the “obviously” part, with regard to unpacked files. :)

But as I understand it, RPM does not distinguish between unpacking and
configuring as a far as dependencies are concerned.  This means that
when it comes to %post scriptlets, dependencies are far stronger than
with Debian's dpkg, and the cycle-breaking mechanisms are required more
often.

Florian