Re: %post RPM scriptlets and dependencies

On 12/10/2015 12:53 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> When a %post scriptlet runs, is it guaranteed that the Requires:
>> dependencies have been unpacked?  I understand that for cycle-breaking
>> purposes, it may not be true that the scriptlets for dependencies have
>> run.  But are the files already there?
>
> I think the answer in general is no, you cannot be guaranteed that Requires:
> get installed before %post runs.

Note that I'm not asking about the “installed” part, I just need the
files to be in place.

Is this an RPM limitation because it does not distinguish between the
unpacked and installed case?  (dpkg does, so this situation is totally
deterministic there: for a regular dependency, when the postinst runs,
you can rely on your dependencies having been unpacked, but *their*
postinst may not have been run yet and they might be in an unconfigured
state.)

Florian