Re: yum: Critical path update in testing for 4 months?

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:53:32 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> So, what you would like would be:
>
> a) If you have autokarma set and the update doesn't reach autokarma,
> push it automatically when it reaches the timeout.

With a customisable timeout, it would be a good feature.

> b) Have another bodhi setting for 'push automatically when reaching the
> 'maintainer can now push to stable' time limit. (defaulted on or off?)

Not so good, because the current blocking period seems arbitrary.
14 days? 7 days? Why? It's a rather short period (considering that it
can take days for a mirror to pick up new packages) and doesn't give all
testers enough time to notice the test update and test it painstakingly.

> > What's needed is software developers and policy makers to agree that
> > some areas are problematic, and to agree on ideas and an agenda. To
> > agree that the karma system is flawed and things like testers
> > ignoring past votes and overriding another's -1 with their own +1
> > should not be possible.
>
> I don't think I agree with that as a blanket statement. What if the
> person who added -1 is just wrong, or you cannot duplicate the exact
> problem that they said the update had?

I wrote "testers _ignoring_ past votes", not testers disagreeing with
each other explicitly in their votes _and_ comments.

Who decides whether a person is wrong? And why can't such a decision not
require somebody to explicitly mask/override a wrong -1?

As it is so far, there are fights between people voting +1 and -1 like it
would be some sort of package popularity contest, and not even in the
comments the people refer to eachother being "wrong". Then, when adding a
comment and pointing at the QA feedback guidelines, people admit that they
haven't been aware of those guidelines.

> > How many layers of extra work do you ask for? Imagine that a fix is
> > from upstream or has been applied and released upstream already. What
> > extra testing and baby-sitting is needed at Fedora's side even for
> > entirely new packages?
>
> What would you propose?

A release process that makes sure that published updates (in particular
security fixes) reach the stable updates repo in adequate time.

> Ship the update directly to stable because upstream oked it?

Shipping directly into stable could be the right thing in _some_ cases.
Such as packages that never receive any tester feedback in bodhi.
I don't see why you would want upstream to ack any updates. If upstream
is not explicitly interested in Fedora's packages, there is no interest
in testing updates either.