Re: yum: Critical path update in testing for 4 months?

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:15:20 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> BUT i have zero understanding for cases where i
> make a distr-upgrade, start as usually "fedora-easy-karma" and find a
> ton of "this package could be pushed to stable if the maintainer wishes"
> candidates

You need to talk to the individual maintainers to find out.

Some have seen the nagmail they got from bodhi, but as they have set a low
karma threshold of 1 or 2 for the update, they wait for a +1 from testers.
And then the update would be published _automatically_. Others disable
those nagmails to begin with, since they only increase the "spam" in all
the cases where you really want to see feedback from somebody before
pushing an update.

It doesn't work well, if bug reporters wait for updates to appear in
the stable updates repo only to discover that the fix doesn't work or
that something else is broken. The bug reporter will be the first to
complain.

> and for "There are maintainers, who dislike a lot of things related to
> the release processes. They consider bodhi a pain to use. They would
> prefer doing things differently, with less work, and more like
> fire'n'forget as how they do it within Rawhide" than frankly what's the
> point of prepare a update when one don't care about it? it's not a
> matter of like or disklike - it's a point of responsibility

This is cheap talk, and you shift responsibility to be a one-sided
thing placed on the maintainers' shoulders only. Bug reporters, who
enter something in bugzilla, but cannot be talked to, are not responsible
either.

And as you are not a package maintainer at Fedora, it could be that you
underestimate the amount of burden/bureaucracy that's considered
unnecessary by many packagers. There are so many updates where the
maintainer publishes an update confidently, but it still depends on
external factors, such as QA and critpath policies, unannounced changes
in deps, and the maintainer also must remember each and every detail of
any Updates policy there may be -- if the only goal is to get out a fix
asap.

One big problem here is that it's necessary to baby-sit an update for
too long and monitor its way into the repos, or else it may never find
its way out - and in some corner-cases, updates have been lost actually. ;-)

Odd as it may be, when I searched for my updates in the bodhi web ui,
I also discovered updates that were four months old already. I don't
think this has ever happened to me with the old bodhi.