Re: Bodhi front page after login

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:17:37 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> "if there is not even a single user to give feedback on them" is a jerk
> reaction - the majority of users don't have updates-testing enabled and
> just wait for stable updates

That only proves that the updates release process is flawed. The karma based
system only works for packages where enough testers spend points to reach the
pos/neg karma threshold.

If nobody gives feedback on a test update:

 - This could mean that none of the (few?) testers has evaluated the test
   update.

 - This could also mean that no tester knows _how to test_ the update.
   Or nobody cares? Nobody asks either? The bug reporter is still affected,
   bug has worked around the bug? => Doesn't make the maintainer happy.

 - And it could also mean that the test update is fine, provided that it
   got installed and used on testers' machines without the testers being
   aware of it.

It is _not_ safe to assume, however, that an untested update is fine.
It has happened before that changes in dependencies caused simple rebuilds
to break badly.

As far as I know, bodhi posts to bugzilla tickets about test updates.
Unfortunately, it does that too early with a first notification.  Bug
reporters read the mail, try to apply the update, but it is not available
for download. It has not been pushed, and even when the second
notification tells it has been pushed, it has not arrived on mirrors.

For the case of 0 karma after months, where is the option to request an
automatic push to stable based on a minimum number of days rather than
a karma threshold?

Else updates-testing is just some "punishment" for maintainers of packages
with no active testers.

> taht said from someone who is most of the time in the top 5 testers as
> long nobody breaks fedora-easy-karma

Fine, fine. Still, if a maintainer sets NEEDINFO in bugzilla and doesn't
receive any response by a bug reporter, it's too easy to forget a ticket
completely, especially if a test update has been released already. Nagmails
don't fix that, if the person in NEEDINFO state doesn't respond.