post-release summary

In the series of interviews with candidates to FAmSCo several candidates
mentioned that ambassadors do not always know what changes were
implemented and what changes are planned for the future in Fedora.
I think this is understandable to a large extent, 'cause Fedora is a
large project, and the changes are mix of very different things like
programming, design, organizational changes, engineering processes,
etc, meaning that for any given person there are many things happening
outside of their interest zone. But we could do a better job publicizing
what happened and what didn't.

Changes approved for a given release are announced. This makes it easy
to know the general direction for the next half year. Nevertheless, it
is very easy to convinced yourself something was implemented as
planned, when in fact that change was delayed or cancelled. Part of
the reason is that un-implemented changes are simply removed from the
ChangeSet list without much fanfare. Reasons for removal are diverse:
sometimes the people involved simply did not find the time to do the
work, sometimes a change is dropped because other software changes
made it obsolete, sometimes it is simply delayed while waiting for
other stuff to become ready, sometimes there are too many bugs.

It would be great if we could have a short report on the accepted but
not implemented changes, along with an outlook on their future,
shortly before the release [*].

( E.g. for F23, Glibc locale subpackaging was moved to F24, the reason
being [technical issues with getting all the dependencies right
(?, my semi-educated guess)],
Frappe Framework implemented in rawhide, but did not make it for F23
[because dependencies could not be backported for F23 (?)], etc. )

The point is of course not to assign blame, but simply to clarify
the situation and future plans, and possibly indicate areas that need
help.

I think that the Program Manager / change wrangler might already have
this information. I don't know how much extra work it would be to also
publish a report on fedora-devel, but I think it would be a useful
addition to our process.

Zbyszek

[*] Before the release, because when people start upgrading or
thinking about it is the time when questions are asked. After the
start of the Final Freeze the list the status of changes cannot
really change anymore, so that would probably be the right moment.