Re: F24 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Randy Barlow wrote:

This sounds overall pretty neat to me! One detail came to my mind: how
would this interact with VPN DNS servers? In my experience with VPNs,
it's common for them to provide a DNS server that allows internal host
resolution to work. Would this local resolver be notified by NM of a new
VPN connection so that it knows to use the VPN-provided DNS server for
hosts on that particular domain, rather than the usual external records
for that same domain?

Yes, this already works in most VPN implementations shipped with Fedora.
(libreswan/IPsec, vpnc/IPsec, openvpn, and probably openconnect)

For IPsec, that support will be extended for IKEv2 in the future too,
see https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pauly-ipsecme-split-dns/

The running unbound DNS server will be told to "forward" certain domains
to certain IPs of nameservers received during the VPN negotiation. It
will remove the forward when the VPN connection goes down. And for those
domains, the cache is flushed on each event too, to prevent using stale
data that is only used when the VPN is up (or down)

Paul