Re: criterion proposal: upgrading across 2 releases

On 12/01/2015 12:45 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a week ago I proposed a new release criterion for upgrading across two releases (e.g. from F21 to F23 directly, skipping F22). As this was never officially supported (even though users were probably unaware of this fact, because we haven't discouraged it either), I'm gathering feedback from multiple parties. You can read my original proposal below, and you can see the existing discussion on test list here:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test%40lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/ANF2WSTHM7EEFL3KOD2EVYSKMOMDRDWP/
>
> In a nutshell, QA team is OK with supporting this, and Will Woods as dnf-plugin-system-upgrade maintainer as well. What I would like to see is some general feedback from package maintainers, because this will require all packages to be able to upgrade while skipping a release. As I said, many users already assume this works and according to our history it does in the majority of cases, but now it would become even more important.
>
> Also, as one person mentioned, Richard Hughes might be implementing graphical support for system upgrade in Fedora 24. Richard, if you can add your opinion, that would be very welcome as well. If you're going to just call dnf-plugin-system-upgrade in the background, hopefully there should be no complications, since it's going to support it (and it already does).

Yes, graphical system upgrades are in the works. Supporting upgrades
across 2 releases is not a problem at all. It needs a bit more code than
just a supporting a single version upgrade, but that's fine. :)

Right now the code we have only supports a single version upgrade, but
once it's working well, we'll make it work for upgrades across 2
releases as well.

Here's mockups how it would look:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/software/version2/wire-upgrades.png
(Think "Fedora 24" instead of "GNOME 3.16" when reading this)

With my packager hat on, it would be great if we could get this in the
packaging guidelines as well, so that there's a canonical source that
says that obsoletes/conflicts etc must be preserved to support upgrades
across 2 releases. And also maybe make some noise in devel-announce and
in the fedora magazine so that packagers are aware that this is
something everybody needs to support.

--
Kalev