Supporting Python 3 in EPEL 7

Hello!

I recently added the package python-rpdb to F22/23/rawhide. The build
failed in Koji due to having a BuildRequires on python3-devel. It seems
that it is called python34-devel in EL 7. This leads me to wonder on a
few things:

0) Should I call my package python34-rpdb in EL 7 for consistency? There
don't seem to be very many Python 3 packages for EL 7 at all (yum search
only found a handful) but it seemed that there are a few doing this.
Alternatively, I could just build the python2 package.

1) What is the recommended strategy for handling my spec file if I
attempt to do different things in EL 7 than I do in F22+? I had
considered just making this change to the spec file in that branch, but
since this would require raising the release it could make upgrade from
EL 7 to EL 8 tricky if the package version doesn't change upstream. Is
it better to use if statements in the spec file? I like the idea of very
clean spec files that work on one specific release, but on the other
hand I do see the potential for upgrading to be disrupted. I found this
snippet:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintenance_guide?rd=Using_git_FAQ_for_package_maintainers#Making_changes_on_an_older_branch_without_breaking_the_upgrade_path

Is that saying that it is OK for me to avoid the if statements and just
make the epel7 branch's spec file provide and require the 34 packages
and the .1 will make the upgrade path OK?

I'm new to Fedora packaging, so apologies if I've missed the answer to
this question in an obvious place.

--
Randy Barlow
xmpp: bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx