Re: On running gui applications as root

On 11/19/2015 12:57 PM, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Nov 2015 12:48:50 Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 11/18/2015 06:49 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Phrased another way: no, it's not *your computer* we're talking about
>>> here. The computer in question rightfully belongs to someone else; we
>>> are here discussing how to be responsible for the code they allow us to
>>> run on it.
>>
>> That is a reasonable point for view.  However, the point of Free
>> Software is freedom; and the ability to shoot oneself in the foot is
>> part of that freedom.  One of the greatest advantage of Free Software
>> from my point of view is that people can choose.  And I know that I am
>> not alone in chooing to use (and to write) Free Software for that
>> reason: freedom is not just about strict licence compliance.
>>
>> Five years or so ago I publicly defended Wayland because I was assured
>> that things would continue to work after the transition.  Being able
>> to edit files with emacs is an essential part of that "continuing to
>> work."
>>
> I don't see how a lack of access to the GUI when running as root will prevent
> Emacs from editing root-owned files.
>
> TRAMP (if you wish to stay inside emacs) and "sudo -e" (if you'd rather work
> outside emacs) both provide mechanisms (that I use today under X11) for emacs
> to edit root-only files while the vast bulk of emacs runs as my user ID.
>
> Put another way: "sudo emacs /etc/hosts" will break under Wayland.

That's bad.

> "sudo -e
> /etc/hosts", "emacsclient /sudo::/etc/hosts" and "emacs /sudo::/etc/hosts"
> will all still work as they do today, as will "emacs --eval (find-file
> /sudo::/etc/hosts)"

I'm complaining about people breaking stuff that Just Works and has
worked for *decades*.  And they're doing it "because security" or
"because I don't do it that way."  I see that it's possible to get
around the problem in some cases, either by some elaborate shell
scripting or (in this case) a special recipe for editing files.  But
that's really not the point.

Andrew.