Re: On running gui applications as root

Am 18.11.2015 um 19:49 schrieb Adam Jackson:
On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 17:30 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 11/02/2015 03:05 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
But, why take the risk exposure, when you could simply not?

How else would I edit root-owned files?  I don't get it.  I mean,
I guess I could run an editor in a text window, but I don't want to
do that.

That's kind of a non sequitur. To a first order, there are zero root-
owned files you need to edit routinely. And I feel pretty comfortable
calling any counterexamples bugs that need fixing

hopefully all configuration files on your system are root-owned and "routinely" is not black and white because it depens on your use-cases

as serveradmin you *routinely* edit root-owned files and *yes* i pull them from 35 machines to a dedicated admin server and open them all together in a GUI editor with tabs to make changes i want to have on all servers while the file itself is machine specific

why?

because it's much faster than login to each and every machine when i can pull them with a script, edit them centralized and push them back followed by a "distribute-command 'systemctl condrestart affected-service'" and it saves a ton of overhead for configuration management tools with their own security issues all the time