Re: Dealing with the "my packages" problem

DA> This seems like a crappy technical solution to a social problem.

I don't know; it seems to be more discoverable than the current state,
where either you just commit and hope.  And yeah, I'm relatively thick
skinned but I still don't like to get flamed by a maintainer that I
might run into at Flock.

Plus, it's not entirely a social problem.  Some packages really do need
extra care and it's not always obvious.  Currently the best you can do
is a comment in the specfile.  Maybe that's sufficient, I'm not sure.

Finally, I don't think having a flag to distinguish between "please ask
me first" and "fire at will" (with different possible answers for
rawhide vs. release and committing vs. actually building or pushing
updates) falls within the realm of the social problem that you mention.

DA> Maybe by renaming package maintainers to something like caretakers
DA> we could start changing the way people who maintain packages view
DA> their positions.

That's true, but I think there's more nuance than that and in any case
I'm trying to approach it from a different angle.  I certainly wouldn't
argue if you made a proposal to that effect but I still think I'm trying
to solve a slightly different problem.  Heck, if my proposal were
implemented (which is easy from a coding standpoint) then we might be
able to collect some stats on how many maintainers feel a certain way.

DA> The other option is to just open all packages to everyone, I've no
DA> idea why we still have ACLs in the land of git.

Because it still takes nonzero time to undo or merge things, and because
I really don't like the idea of giving every single packager (or,
depending on what you actually meant, everyone with a Fedora account)
root access to my rawhide machines.  Or were you proposing removing ACLs
only for committing to packages but keeping them for actually doing
builds?  What about updates?  It's not quite so simple.  (And yes, I've
been a part of several big discussions about this over the lifetime of
the project.)

 - J<