Re: On running gui applications as root

On 17/11/15 18:11, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 11/17/2015 05:55 PM, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
My impression is that by default in fedora, virt-manager runs as
non-root. I guess it might ask for the root password in order to
manage the libvirtd that runs as privileged mode, but even in that
case the user interface would run as your normal user.

Sure, but even that is a UI regression: applications which ask for
the root password discourage long root passwords and train people
to type the root password whenever it's asked for.  I should not
even need to know the root password.

Well you'll be pleased to know then that virt-manager doesn't normally ask for the root password. If you're in the libvirt group then I don't think it will ask at all, otherwise if you're an administrative user then it will ask for your password.

If you weren't an admin user then it might ask for the root password but I don't think I've ever tried that. It does whatever polkit does for auth_admin basically.

Certainly there is no good reason to run virt-manager as root.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/