Re: Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

On 11/08/2015 10:17 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>  For those without
>> SSE2, Plasma 5 is completely unusable, but OK with any of the lightweigh
>
> <nod>.
>
> Qt5 (Gui and Declarative) pretty much requires sse2, and I/kde-sig asked
> about pushing the minimum i686 fedora spec to include sse2, but fesco was
> against that idea at the time.

I wonder if it might be a good time to bump the i686 minimal
requirements for F24 to include sse2. Not for performance reasons, but
for compatibility: almost all developers are on x86_64 these days and
i686 is pretty much just limping along. If we include sse2 on i686, that
removes another difference between x86_64 and i686 and makes things
easier for us as a downstream.

Apparently quite a few upstreams these days consider sse2 as a minimal
requirement and it seems more and more that Fedora packagers need to
work this around if we don't follow the lead.

I don't think this is worth doing for performance reasons. I don't think
a few percentage of possible gain in micro benchmarks is worth it, but
if it saves some hundreds of hours of developer time for people who are
working on Fedora and don't have to work around missing sse2, I'd say
it's very well worth the cost of losing ancient CPU support.

--
Kalev